The Presidency said on Sunday that it had been in discussion with the Chamber of Mines to resolve the impasse over the mining charter.
This was in a bid “to facilitate a process of developing a New Mining Charter that all stakeholders can support and defend”.
“The Chamber of Mines, on behalf of its members, has agreed jointly with the Department of Mineral Resources to postpone its court application in respect of the Reviewed Mining Charter, which was due to be heard in the High Court on 19 to 21 February.
“The postponement serves to allow parties the space to engage and find an amicable solution,” said the Presidency.
The Presidency and the Chamber of Mines have approached the seven other applicants, as well as two amici curiae, namely the National Union of Mineworkers and Solidarity, to advise them of the development, and have encouraged them to similarly postpone their applications.
The Presidency said this was in line with President Cyril Ramaphosa’s commitment during the State of the Nation Address on Friday to intensify engagements with all stakeholders on the Mining Charter “to ensure that it is truly an effective instrument to sustainably transform the face of mining in South Africa”.
“By working together, in a genuine partnership, underscored by trust and a shared vision, I am certain we will be able to resolve the current impasse and agree on a Charter that both accelerates transformation and grows this vital sector of our economy,” President Ramaphosa said.
The Department of Mineral Resources amended the Mining Charter to strengthen and refine its effectiveness in driving economic transformation and competitiveness in the mining sector.